" Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Surgery Day

We got to the hospital this morning about 5:30am. Right now it's about 6:30pm and she just got out of surgery. The doctor says that the entire area in question was tumor, and appeared to be a glioma which is a low grade brain cancer. In his estimation, he was able to remove about 97% of it. I haven't seen her yet, but he says that she is awake and there doesn't seem to be any problems with hearing, speech, or vision. She's going to be in the ICU for the next few days, depending on how the next 24 hours go. We won't know for sure exactly what it is until the pathology reports, but the initial hunch is that we'll be deciding in a week or two what additional treatment will be required. All in all, I'm feeling like this is a pretty positive result, but she's not out of the woods till it's all gone. So now we begin the long road to recovery. Thanks to everyone for all the prayers, messages, and general support. It has been an amazing strength! I'll keep updates flowing as I learn more.

8 comments:

Darrell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darrell said...

Thanks for the update. Some very positive things. We've been praying all day for you guys.

[you can delete previous message - that was me!]

The Whitaker Family said...

(I'm Kaarina's sister)-- I've been anxiously awaiting an update-- thanks! Courtney, her doctors and all of you are in all our whole family's prayers, and will continue to be. Lots of love from us!!!!!

Sandefur said...

I appreciate the update, and will keep my prayers going. I send my love along with that of many other concerned friends.

Unknown said...

We are so thankful for the news. We put Courtney's name in several temples in southern California and Utah. Please keep us posted. our prayers are with you all. Elder and Sister Halliday

Heather said...

Thank you for taking the time to update. Can't imagine the long day your family endured. Oodles of wishes for a speedy recovery.

janeannechovy said...

Praise be. Thanks for the update, Jason. How are the kids doing through all this?

Tracy said...

I am happy things went as well as they did. We will keep praying hard for your whole family. We love you.