" Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Thursday, November 12, 2009

d plus 1

Sorry I didn't update sooner. Courtney had a really difficult night last night, but it wasn't because of her head. Her eye was irritated somehow and has been excruciating to her. We spent the night putting in eye drops and holding cold compress on it. It's a little better now, but still the worst part of recovery so far. She has total numbness in her right ring finger and pinky. We thought at first it was a pinched ulnar nerve from the way she was positioned, but it still hasn't gone away. She'll do another MRI to see if there's any swelling in her neck and pinching a nerve there. She had an MRI at about 5:00am this morning to see how things are looking post-op. It's pretty amazing how much tissue was removed. There's a pretty sizable void there, and we're hopeful not too much healthy tissue was removed.
Only a tiny bit of tumor was left, and that's because it was too close to her optic areas to be able to safely remove it. The doctor was confident enough that we're dealing with a low grade tumor that he decided that the risks of damaging her vision were greater than the risks of leaving that last little bit. We'll have to wait until the pathology report to know what we're gonna do about that last bit (radiation or chemo.)
Courtney's spirits are up (when she's not to high on the drugs she's taking.) This morning she asked me to count the staples in her head and, drum roll please, there's 42. I'll post some pictures later, but right now she's not quite up for a photo shoot.
The kids are receiving wonderful care from Grandma and Grandpa Pixon and from my sister-in-law, Tracy, and my parents. They, in turn, seem to be receiving care from so many more of you! It's great to know that the our lives are being managed by such helpful and loving hands so that we can focus entirely on helping Courtney get better. Thanks again to everyone for the continued thoughts and prayers and for making it possible for me to be here by her side.

11 comments:

Skye said...

We've been praying for you and thinking of you constantly. So sorry about the eye thing. I wish I could come help hold on the compress, but apparently flu-ridden sisters are banned from the ICU. Humph.

The Whitaker Family said...

That sucks in so many ways, Skye! I'm glad for the update and to hear that you're all being taken care of so well. Still in thoughts and prayers...!

Cooper Family said...

Thanks for the update. Courtney is a tough chick and you're such a great husband Jason. You are in our thoughts and prayers!

K kid said...

Thanks for the update. I was thinking about you and praying for you all day yesterday. I'm glad to hear that surgery went well and I hope the eye thing goes away quickly. What a pain! Courtney- you are a trooper. Hang in there! Hugs!!

TerryO said...

We are all thinking of you and especially Courtney. Our love and prayers are with you all.
Great blog Jason, thanks for letting us share your thuoghts and feelings. You have the perfect family for coping with such a drama, but you still have such a huge burden to carry, and we all wish you well.
Send our love and very best wishes to Courtney. From Terry, Simone and Shiomara in England.

Darrell said...

Have been fasting for you guys. Thanks for the updates!

HrncirikHome said...

We are all praying for Courtney and your family. Even our children mention, "Mommy's friend, Courtney," in there prayers. I have faith that the Lord will continue to bless Courtney and the rest of you. There are a LOT of prayers in your behalf. We'll continue to pray for you all!

Amy said...

Just letting you know Burg and I have been praying every night for you. We have also made sure to keep your name on the prayer roll at the DC temple. We love you...wish I were closer so I could bring dinner, play with kids...etc.

Anonymous said...

You guys are amazing and I know you will pull through this difficult time. Thank you for keeping us all posted. As always, the prayers will continue and I hope Courtney's eye gets better and feeling comes back in her fingers. :)

J and M said...

I'm so glad that her music remains (: We're rooting for you guys!!!!

Gabe said...

Best wishes from a cousin in Santa Rosa that sends his heartfelt desire for a smooth recovery. Hang in there, Courtney! I'm thinking of you. Love, Gabe