" Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Saturday, November 14, 2009

D plus 2



That cloudy stuff on the left is the tumor.


Courtney is out of the ICU and in a regular room. Vitals are stable. Her eye is doing much better, but she's not using it much because her eyes are extremely sensitive to light right now. Her arms are feeling much improved, but the numbness in her right fingers hasn't changed. The neck MRI didn't show anything unusual, so we're hoping it goes away with time. She stood up this morning with help from physical therapist, and by the end of the day has started walking back and forth to the bathroom, with the aid of a walker, and that much exertion pretty much wipes her out. She has started eating, but because of the muscles that were cut, can't really use her jaw at all, so it's been soup and yogurt.
I was playing guitar for her this evening, just trying to sooth her a little. (I can't read to her because we sit in the dark 24hrs/day.) I was playing some of her favorite songs and she actually tried to sing along a bit. I looks like she's still Courtney! For those who don't know, Courtney can't hear a song she loves and not sing along, so I developed a trick many years ago. Whenever I want to hear her sing, I'll just start playing one of her favorite songs and, no matter what she's doing, she'll start singing.

9 comments:

NicholeStull said...

Jason, you are tricky. And oh, so smart. Love and prayers to you all!
Nichole (Greeff) and Jared Stull

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Jason for all of your updates. I have been keeping up with them everyday. So glad you could play music for her. I am sure she really enjoyed it. Praying for a speedy recovery. Please let me know if you need anything at all. I would be happy to bring anything you need or are craving to the hospital as well. Take care, Shannon Hicks Benarroch

Unknown said...

fantastic progress today. great to hear.

Cooper Family said...

Thanks for keeping us all updated. Great to hear she is making progress.

Forrest said...

So glad she's doing well.

Sean Gates said...

Great to hear, Jason. I was worried about her singing. You are both in our prayers.

-- Sean

suzannemosman said...

Thank-you for the wonderful updates. I am glad that Courtney is out of the ICU, that is big progress. I hope those nagging problems of the sensitive eye and numb fingers will resolve for her soon.
Mosmans

Dan said...

Oh! What a true love story! Thanks for the updates! We are all with you in spirit!

(Rebecca and Dan)

ksurfinshrink said...

Our hearts and prayers (and a few tears) are with your dear family right now. I praise God she is pulling through so beautifully it sounds. It sounds like you guys have a lot of support right now, but I'd like to help in anyway possible. Ashton would love to have Logan over after school...I'd love to help with driving needs...grocery store run? Please call me 503-318-8530. Love to you guys! Heather Bowerly